With understated elegance and a well-deserved reputation for engineering excellence, the Imperial nameplate topped the Chrysler product line from 1926 through 1975. In order to further distinguish the Imperial line, Chrysler Corporation designated the Imperial as a separate marque in 1954. The all-new 1955 Imperials were based heavily on the fabulous new Chryslers that also appeared that year, which benefited from the full influence of renowned stylist Virgil Exner. Imperials were available in two basic forms the C69 short-wheelbase Newport Coupe or Sedan and the long-wheelbase C70 Crown Imperial and were known for their excellent build quality.
The C69 Imperial models, such as this car, were priced from about $4,700, with many standard features including power steering and power brakes (this one has upgraded front discs installed). This car has optional accessories that include a four-way power front seat, power windows, signal-seeking radio and air conditioning. This Newport has had an update to a 12-volt electrical system.
Befitting its status, the standard Imperial engine was Chryslers top power unit for 1955 the 331 cubic inch, 250 horsepower V-8 FirePower engine with hemispherical (hemi) combustion chambers and a four-barrel carb, mated to the smooth-shifting PowerFlite automatic transmission with dash-mounted control lever.
The coupe was formally called a two-door hardtop in factory literature; uncommon by any standards with only 3,418 reported as built in 1955, this Imperial Newport is freshly refinished in new paint in a shade of beautiful cobalt blue with a contrasting white hardtop. The car has received restoration attention in a frame-on fashion that includes the drivetrain, interior and brightwork elements.
In a form of nearly 19-feet of incomparable sweep and grace; the 1955 Imperial exhibits fidelity of line not previously seen in any motorcar. Even the distinctive gunsight taillights riding free and clear above the fenders sets the car apart from every other car on the highway. Imperial by Chrysler embodied a brilliant and wholly new automotive design for 1955.
Visit Used Car Motor Mall of Grand Rapids online at www.motormallofgr.net to see more pictures of this vehicle or call us at 616-241-6200 today to schedule your test drive.